Sunday 16 October 2011

Retro Diary - 16/10/11 - I think we've found the Dreamcast's Goldeneye... Sort of!

From now on, I'm going to be doing in an actual diary format, like I'm talking to myself, just to be authentic to the title, just thought I'd give youse the heads up.

It was Dreamcast week this week, and for the occasion, I brought 2 Dreamcast controllers, new ones in fact, for £6 in total, and and they were exactly that, new Dreamcast controllers, it seamed that Sega have started manufacturing them again, because the item on Amazon only appeared this year, and the review someone did said he got them in their new boxes. I would've thought they would've costed alot, being that the console is old, but they were only £3 each, with free delivery, and the item said Official Sega Dreamcast Controllers, plus, that item didn't appear until this year, so my theory of them manufacturing them again must be plausible.

Anyway, I brought the controllers to my grans, and used them for the first time, and they felt great! When you pressed a button, it felt like, well, pressing a button, I mean a proper press, if you know what I mean.

Here are the games we played:
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  • Mortal Kombat Gold
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Chu Chu Rocket
  • WWF Royal Rumble
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sega GT
  • ECW: Hardcore Revolution

The game we enjoyed the most as Chu Chu Rocket, we were really addicted to it, we actually had to give the Dreamcast a few breaks because it was getting really hot because we were playing it that much. One of my cousins said that it was like the Dreamcast's Goldeneye, and I can see where he's coming from, although it's a totally different genre, it's a 4-player game where we gather around and play, and just have fun, it doesn't matter whether or not you win or lose, you're just having too much fun to care, just like Goldeneye!

Aside from that, I didn't do much this week, I did order an Atari Jaguar Pro Controller and a Memory track, but only one of them arrived, not surprisingly, the other was from America!

Well, you don't need all the buttons, but I imagine many complained about the inconvenience of the original controller, having only 3 face buttons and having a number pad underneath, the pro controller kind of fixed it, it kept the number pad, but added 3 extra face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, and these button act as a number-pad button when used to play a Jaguar game before it, Tempest 2000 for example, the extra button change the camera and in Iron Soldier, they're used to change the weapon. Not many games were developed with the pro controller in mind, in fact I think Primal Rage was the only one, I'm not sure though.

So it isn't really inconvenient or complex, and in some cases, even simplifies some games, not to mention, it's thinner than the original controller, so it's easier to hold.

I'm still waiting for the memory track to arrive, so it'll be a while...

That's all I did next week, next week is PS2 week, we're going to have a few games of FIFA 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment