Sunday 13 May 2012

Retro Diary - 13/5/12 - "SlllooooowwDoooowwwnnnnnn!!!!"

Dear Diary,

I've had a more exiting week than usual, although that's not saying much.

Monday 7th May 2012

For some reason, we were going to grans again, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to take a console.

I decided to keep it a surprise until my cousins, Steven and Giancarlo, came into the sitting room, where we usually play the games.

The console turned out to be... The Sega Saturn!

Sadly, I can't remember what games we played and in what order, so I'll give you what I can remember, We Played:
    In no order:
  • Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
  • Sega Rally Championship
  • Sega Touring Car Championship
  • Virtua Fighter 2(.1)

Our games of Sega Rally and Daytona USA were pretty much the same as they always are.

I remember while me and Steven were playing Sega Touring Car Championship, we kept saying "SlllooooowwDoooowwwnnnnnn!!!!" and "5 Frrrraaaammmmmmeeesss aaa ssssseeeeccconnnnnddd!!!", because the game kept slowing down!

I remember Virtua Fighter 2.1 most fondly, me and Giancarlo were playing it, we discovered they had an option called "Slow Mode", so we enabled that to see what it was like.

It turns out it was just an underwater stage, it slows down the game for realism, as actions done in in water are usually slower than in air, that much is kind of obvious, so I guess they didn't lie...

We had a lot of fun with it, though, while we were playing it, were talking about imagining movies done underwater, like Back to the future underwater, with a submarine "Delorian", and Die Hard done underwater!

Overall, it was a lot of fun!

Saturday 12th May 2012

At long last, I have Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase on PS1 again!

I've been wanting that game for literally years now. Why? You may ask, well I used to have it back in the day, it was pretty much the last out of the nostalgic PS1 games I had, I have just about every other game I had from my childhood.
After playing it, I realised it had almost no resemblance to the movie, it seemed more like a quick buck game, after all, it was based off of a direct-to-video film for starters.

After getting used to the controls, however, I found it was actually a very enjoyable game, the controls are solid (although they f*ck you over from time to time), the game is actually challenging even playing it now, the levels are pretty cool, and the music and sound effects are great and memorable, for years I had some of it's tracks stuck in my head without realising where it came from!

I almost feel I shouldn't be enjoying it as much as I am, like I said, it seems as if they quickly put the game together to make a quick buck, as guess you could call it, a guilty pleasure? I seem to have a lot of games like that recently, maybe I should make a top 10 list...

Sunday 13th May 2012

It was Gamecube week this week, unfortunately, Steven couldn't be there, due an accident he had with his lip.

Unfortunately also, Giancarlo didn't know it was Gamecube week, so he didn't bring his games, he asked what games I had, I mentioned Mario Kart Double Dash and Marvel Nemesis, and then he said "Say no more, we're sorted!".

For a while, I was playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 with my brother, we also played Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure for a short while, too.

The me and Giancarlo played a bit of Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.

Then we played a bit of Mario Kart: Double Dash, I brought the strategy guide (yes, I actually have it.), to for a joke, say we have the full experience, the funny thing is, it actually came in handy! Sort of. Giancarlo wasn't sure how you boosted in the game, so we looked it up in the strategy guide, and it had the info we needed! I never worked for me, but it worked for Giancarlo a few times, so I know the guide was right.

Then we played a little bit more of Marvel Nemesis...

Then we tried out Beyblade V-Force: Super Tournament Battle, it took a while before Giancarlo figured out how to launch the Beyblade, after that, eh, it was alright.

Then we played some more Marvel Nemesis... While we were playing it, we were talking about those companies like Capcom and EA, who are just in it for the money, I mentioned since it was recently released on PC I thought I might try out Street Fighter X Tekken, and he surprised when I mentioned it, it turns out he hadn't heard about that, odd, I thought he'd be the first to know about it.

Then we tried out WWE Day of Reckoning, the controls were easy enough for him to learn, so we had a one on one hardcore match, which I won.

...and finally, we finished off with another game or two of Marvel Nemesis!

In short (tl;dr), here's what we played:
    In the order we first played them:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
  • Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
  • Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Beyblade V-Force: Super Tournament Battle
  • WWE Day of Reckoning

My auntie had to drop me off since my mum left ages before, before I even had to chance to play the Gamecube with Gianni. It turns out he was in the same car, so me, him, and the other cousin who was in the car, were talking Michel Jackson and Weird Al Yankovic songs!

So yeah, despite the major drawbacks, we still had fun, or at least I had, next week is Xbox 360 week, I hope Steven will be better by then, because he's the one that's supposed to bring it, if he isn't, which I reckon is unlikely, then we'll either move the PS3 week then back to 360 week, or until Steven is well enough, I'll select random consoles to bring until Steven is well enough.

He'll probably be better by then, but just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment