Saturday 17 August 2013

My thoughts on Games for Windows marketplace shutting down...

Just a quick one, If you haven't heard already Games for Windows Marketplace is shutting down, it's closing on August 22nd, and it seems everyone is celebrating about it, I don't share the same enthusiasm, I'm here to give me thoughts on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person on this planet to actually liked Games for Windows Live! I've always though it was much better than Steam, normally, their games were cheaper, and their DRM wasn't nearly as restrictive, for one, you didn't need the internet to activate the games, digital or physical! Not only that, I thought it was awesome that it was virtually the same as Xbox Live, which meant I could add people from said service, and since most people I know own an Xbox 360, almost exclusively, this was a great feature for me!

I'm sad to see the marketplace go, they should have a closing sale, I might get a game or two from them, either way, I might just nab Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection before it closes anyway, it's £2 cheaper than it is on Steam, and you won't have Steam's DRM in place to restrict you from, say, grabbing the installer, or make an archive of the installed game, and store it on a memory stick for keeps!

On the flipside, Steam's former "boss", Jason Holtman, has joined Games for Windows, I'm assuming this means that Games for Windows isn't going to discontinue, at least not yet, in fact this could mean Games for Windows could become more popular, and more publishers will use it again, but on the other hand, I'm worried that Holtman might change GFWL for the worst, and make it as restrictive as Steam. We'll see what happens, I guess.

If he doesn't restrict it, and only promotes it, then to me, the may be some hope left in PC gaming...

That's all I have, I told you it would going to be quick!

-Cobra!

No comments:

Post a Comment