Sunday 17 June 2012

Retro Diary - 17/6/12

Monday 11th June 2012

Day 5 with no proper PC, and I can tell you, it's boring as f*ck, I have no idea how I managed without it before, well, probably because I didn't have games that needed a PC that powerful, but the fact is that I do, and I want more games that need it, this sucks!

I ordered the MDickie collection on DVD today, you'll get the link to do so on his website if you want to as well, it's only £10, and you get basically everything he's ever created, everything on his website on a DVD, including his old DOS games, offline versions of his flash games! It may be pointless as everything on his site is free now, I'm preparing for if the site ever goes down and loses everything, if that ever happens, I can still play his games using his DVD compilation.

So I decided to take my mind off it by playing a bit of Gran Turismo 3, FIFA 12 and Toy Story 3, all on the PS2, mostly GT3.

I realised there's an unlockable feature on FIFA 12 on PS2, which I didn't see on the PC version, and that is funny SFX, which replaces, all of the game's sound effects to funny ones, for example, when I shoot, instead of hearing a kick, I hear a rocket! Or if I hit the post or the bar, I hear a bell noise, the same for when someone headers the ball, only it's a different bell sound! It's fun to have on, even if it gets old fast.

Throughout the whole day, for some reason, I wanted to play a racing simulator game, like Gran Turismo, or Sega GT. So I decided to play the one I've had for months, but never played, Gran Turismo 3! So I've been playing that, and enjoying it, even if it's frustrating as hell to get the licences!

One of the games I wanted for for PC that only my broken PC could run, was Toy Story 3, after playing the Wii version and really enjoying it. In excitement in getting my PC fixed and playing, I've been playing Toy Story 3 for the PS2... so yeah...

Tuesday 12th June 2012

Day 6 without a proper PC, and I'm seriously on the brink of insanity! I want to Play games like Sims 3, left 4 Dead 2 and Toy Story 3 so bad, but I'm not able to!

So, out of extreme boredom, I decided to play one of the few games the laptop I'm using can play, Peggle Extreme! I decided to give this a shot, as I never got the chance with my now-broken PC, and I really enjoyed it, I will be getting the full game if I get my PC fixed, because you can get both that and it's nights expansion in retail form from Amazon!

I also played Codename: Gordon, and completed it! Now I only have to finish Half Life 2 Episode 1 & 2, and Half Life: Blueshift, and Half Life: Decay... Well, I'm one step closer to completing all of the Half Life games out so far.

Wednesday 13th June 2012

Day 7, a full week without my PC, and I am officially losing it, seriously, I hope writing this will keep me sane, if not, then god help us...

My Amazon basket a.k.a, the list of PC games I want, is filling up, and I realised that some items would be quickly going out of stock, one of them only having 1 left, no big deal, right? No, Except that, that item didn't have other sellers, if I place that order for that one copy, I can forget about getting that game at all, so I thought since my laptop could probably run it anyway, I ordered it thankfully, it dispatched, so I got the last copy.

The game I'm talking about is Peggle, the full game, I also ordered Peggle Nights, the sequel, and I also ordered Doom: Collectors Edition, which is all 3 of the original doom games made playable on modern Windows Operating Systems, plus, you also get a demo of Doom 3, chances are, my laptop could at least run the original Doom games, so I got that as well.

Throughout the day, out of total boredom, I decided to check out a few DOS shareware games, such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

Thursday 14th June 2012

Day 8 without my PC, and I swear to god, I'm going to go insane, I mean insane asylum kind of insane, I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but I did everything with that PC, played games, make stuff, do browsing, my laptop does an awful job in comparison on all 3, especially games, I can hardly play anything on this toaster! I can't take my mind off it because pretty much everything reminds me of it!

I have just about given hope on my PC, I am very confident that ASUS will not repair it, and all the PC repair shops will end up charging us more than we have, so I'm f*cked, £1150 gone right down the drain, it's nothing more than a paperweight now, and there's f*ck all I can do about it!

Friday 15th June 2012

Day 9 without my PC, and usually at this point, I'd be totally insane and wrecking the house, but I'm not, and I'll tell you why.

2 things, first of all, my copies of Peggle and Peggle Nights, as well as Doom Collector's Edition have arrived, so I won't be as bored.

Secondly, but by no mean least, when I was bored, "knowing" I can't play games like FIFA 12, PES 2012, NBA 2k12, Left 4 Dead etc., I looked at my game boxes to make sure of this, and I found out that, theoretically, this laptop actually can play them all on low settings! It'll do until my PC gets fixed, if it ever gets fixed, so at least I can still play FIFA Euro 2012 in the mean time. The most surprising thing is, this laptop is 5 years old, and can still play some fairly new games, and when that was new, that couldn't play any games released at the same time at high settings.

If my PC gets fixed, and that can play todays games on high settings, I'm looking at, at least 4 or 5 years until that becomes obsolete! So yeah, I'm all cheered up knowing that.

I played a bit of Revenge of Shinobi for the Mega Drive, and I got farther than before because I accidentally did the unlimited shrunkens cheat, which also gave me more lives, I managed to reach Round 2 Level 1, in other words, level 4, before dying, it may not sound far, but this game is very hard, I'm lucky to reach the end of level 2!

Saturday 16th June 2012

I went to the cinema today to see Men in Black 3, I really enjoyed the film, although the 3D effects were mediocre at best, which wouldn't usually be a problem, but it costed us £50 to get in! What a rip-off! Despite that, like I said, I enjoyed the film.

I tried out FIFA 12 on my laptop, and minimum requirements my ar*e! My laptop could barely run the game on arena, where there's only 1 player and 1 goalkeeper, and half a pitch, if even that! On an actual match, it was just unplayable! The game literally run at like 2 frames a second, if even that, and my laptop surpasses all the minimum requirements by quite a bit, I'd hate to try it on a laptop that just only meets the game's "requirements"!

My sister also came to my room to play a bit of Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive, but only for like 1 level, until she went out.

Sunday 17th June 2012

It was Wii week at grans today, unfortunetly, Giancarlo forgot to bring his Wii, fortunately, however, I brought mine, just in case this would happen.

I played a bit of No More Heroes first, and it make me think why I stopped playing in the first place, I really enjoyed it, maybe I'll dig it up, because I still have No More Heroes 2 sealed, unopened, from a couple of years ago, and I want to open that up, and play it, but I want to beat the first game first.

Then me, Giancarlo, his sister, and Steven played a good few matches of Super Smash Bros. brawl.

Then we played Wario Ware Smooth moves, and we had a blast!

Then we played a few Gamecube games, first being Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects! Me and Steven played a match or two.

Then we played a couple of matches of Beyblade V-Force: Super Tournament Battle.

Then we played a few races of Mario kart Double Dash.

Then we went back to playing Wii games, by playing Super Mario Galaxy, it didn't take long for us to get bored, though.

Then we played Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010, the game ironically wasn't as good as the Wii sports golf game, and PGA tour was dedicated, we played a few for a few holes, though. One thing we did notice was that the graphics were so good, our gran thought it was a real match on TV!

Finally, we played Sonic Heroes on the Gamecube.

After we went home,my mum got my uncle to photocopy something, and she would go over to collect it half an hour later, I wanted to go as well, so I did, and I showed Steven the Peggle games, and showed him the 'Weird Al' Yankovic song: "It's all about the Pentiums" and he showed me the Plants vs. Zombies game, and he said there's an browser version to try out, so I'm trying that out right now.

So next week is Mega Drive week, we're going back to the start of the cycle, time for some blast processing!

No comments:

Post a Comment