Tuesday 11 September 2012

Retro Pick-Ups: A Sega Mega CD!

Remember when I said I saw a Model 1 Mega Drive+CD there and said it might be £60 once they're ready to sell it? Well, I went back there today, and they had it for sale for £100, but it came with 2 6-button controllers and 3 games, technically 4! I was a bit sceptical at first, but they mentioned that they do a 3-month guarantee, which isn't too much, but with an old console, you'd be lucky to have a guarantee on it at all, it also means if it breaks within those 3 months, you can take it back and get a refund, which sounds alright. They also mentioned that chances are, it'll go in a couple of days, they rarely come by, hard and expensive to find on eBay, and it's on high demand.

Believe it or not, £100 is a good price for a Mega CD, To buy one on it's own, without the Mega Drive itself, any games, or controllers, would cost you a whopping £240! and that's not including delivery! £100 doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

So I decided to get it, if it doesn't work, I could just take it back, so I might as well give it a try.

As I bought it, they were explaining to me some things I would need to know about the Mega CD, like that it uses it's own power, that the reset button opens the tray and start closes it. I knew all of this, but it was awesome that this shop hires people who know what they're talking about. Unlike a certain other store...

The console works perfectly, although the display is a little off, but it turns out it was the Mega Drive itself with that problem, because I get the same display quality when playing a cartridge game, which of course doesn't require or involve the Mega CD.

The games I have for it at the moment aren't that great, except for one, I got Prince of Persia, Jaguar XJ220, Cobra Command (Which, sadly, sucks! ='(), and Sol-Feace, which is actually pretty fun.

Now that I own a Mega CD, that opens doors for me to try out those really bad FMV games, like Night-Trap! I can only get Sonic CD, with the proper music the EU/JP version had, as opposed to the US one Gems Collection had.

No comments:

Post a Comment