Sunday 7 August 2011

Retro Diary - 7/8/11 - "Wii? What's that?"

Yes folks, unfortunately, it's that time of week again, another entry of my "Retro Diary".

This week was "Gamecube Week", I brought the Gamecube, a couple of controllers, and a some games, and my cousins brought their Gamecube games, the Game Boy Player, 2 Wavebird controllers and a screen, not that we used that, we put it all together and called it "The Ultimate Gamecube" and we must've had about 20 games or something including doublers, that's a record, never had that many!

I got a little annoyed at my cousins mentioning and using the 3DS, Iphone and Android Apps and new stuff like that, I knew it wasn't my choice whether or not they use or talk about them, so I decided to pretend it was 2004, and my cousins started to join in, and so when anyone mentioned anything released after 2004, like say for arguments sake, Epic Mickey for the Wii, then one of us would go "Epic Mickey? What's that?".

Yep, when people still used VHSes, when YTMND filled the void until Youtube came along, when the Dreamcast (in Japan), PS2, Gamecube and Xbox were the main consoles and were in War, when the GBA and N-Gage had amazing graphics for handhelds.
I actually caught them a few times mentioning stuff made after 2004, without even them noticing, I was caught once myself.

It got old a little too quickly (no pun intended) and I got a bit bored of it after a while, although I think that was because my mum mentioned that then I still had my horrible High School to go to,I think that's what did it.

Despite this, we still has a great time with the games.
Here's what we played:
    In order of when we played them:
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Using the Game Boy Player)
  • Billy Hatcher and Giant Egg
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • F-Zero GX
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Mario Sunshine (Well, actually, only my little brother played this, but for the sake of completion, It's on the list)
  • Donkey Konga
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Marvel Nemesis
Funnily enough, I brought my own copy of Marvel Nemises for backup, and it turns out my cousin's copy didn't have the discs, and mines did, I was glad I brought my copy!

Also, it was my birthday weekend (My actual birthday is on Wednesday) so we had the traditional cake and happy birthday song, so my cousins did what I did (for a joke) to them at their birthday, and sing a parody version of it to me, you know it how it goes, I don't feel like mentioning it here, and afterwards they said "Ha! Revenge for what you did to us!", of course, it all was a joke, none it was serious, just in case it wasn't obvious.

As much as I enjoyed it today, and trust me, I had a great time, for some reason, I left there feeling depresseed, like something I've been dreading is coming up, I have no idea why.

As you may already know, I went to my cousins house on Wednesday because my family were at the beach, but I forgot to mention what games we played, I say I forgotten, I left it out on purpose, because the article was meant to be about the Game Boy Color I got, from recall, and I've probably forgot some, here's a list of the games we played that day:
    In no particular order:
  • Medal of Honour: Rising Sun [Xbox]
  • Timesplitters 2 [Xbox]
  • Timesplitters: Future Perfect [Xbox]
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe [Game Boy Color]
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [Gamecube]
  • Mario Kart 64 [Nintendo 64]
  • Quake II [Nintendo 64]
  • Extreme-G 2 [Nintendo 64]
  • Monster Truck Madness 64 [Nintendo 64]
  • Star Wars Episode 1: Racer [Nintendo 64] (Well, we TRIED to play it, but it didn't work for some reason, it's just here for the sake of completion)
I had a brilliant time there, we also watched some Red Dwarf, which was pretty funny, as you'd expect.

Every other day of the week, I was bored out of my skull, so I decided to dig up some games I forgot all about, like Perfect Dark, 007: The World Is Not Enough and others, but they are 2 things (a game and a console) that I've dug up and I fell they're worth talking about.

Rise 2: Resurrection, if you're unfamiliar with this title, I don't blame you, it's pretty obscure game, and was for a reason...

It was the sequel to 1994's Rise of the Robots, which is considered one of the worst fighting games of all time, it's constantly compared to Shaq-Fu, having played it myself, I don't think it's as bad as people put it out to be, but it's still mediocre, it has a very limited move-set, player 1 can only go one character, the controls are very stiff and the A.I. are so stupid that you can b*tch kick them into the corner and win, I'll talk more about that another time.

Well, the sequel, at least on the Sega Saturn (I've heard bad things about the PS and PC versions), fixed all of these problems, they are 18 characters you can play as (approx.) and the move-sets are bigger, the controls are alot better, and most important of all, the A.I. are fixed although the game sacrificed a little bit of the awesome presentation to get the gameplay, but it was smart move if you ask me.

The thing that I love is that I read the story in the instruction manual, and it actually took the mickey out of the first game by saying, and I quote, "The new generation of robots now had actual intelligence", brilliant, eh?

I'll probably do a review of this game sometime, I've been dying to.

The second thing I've been wanting to talk about is the Mega Drive, I've had it in the corner constantly getting based, so I thought one day, I'll play it, so I've been rummaging though my Mega Drive games to find anything I wanted to play, and I found one, Mortal Kombat! So I popped it in, hoping that the Mega Drive, after all the abuse and collecting dust, still worked, and does, and I actually achieved something I struggled to before, I actually BEAT the game, yay!

Like I said, my birthday is on Wednesday, and by coincidence, my sister's moving out the day after, so I guess as a birthday present, I'm moving room to her's, which is over twice the size the size of my current room, which means I can fit in twice as many retro games in it, which I'll need.

Along with the new room, I'll be getting a desk for my computer, which I think will give me a better working atmosphere for when I get back to working on my projects for Gamerstorm.

That's it for this weeks Retro Diary, see youse next week.

Cobra!

No comments:

Post a Comment