Tuesday 23 August 2011

Retro Arrivals: WipEout and WipEout 2097 [Saturn]

Right, I said that they were stuff still arrive, and some still are, but 2 things have arrived today, 2 games in a series, both of which on a console you probably haven't expected them to be on...

...F*ck it! There's no point creating tension, you already know what they are, they're in the title, they're WipEout and WipEout 2097 on the Sega Saturn, I was surprised to hear they were Saturn versions of both games, I've always heard abut them being Playstation classics, and not a word about the Saturn versions, so naturally, I thought they were Playstation exclusives, but I was proven wrong, and I have physical evidence that they aren't.

Unfortunately, my (new) room still a mess, so it still wouldn't be a good idea to take a photo of them, nor can I take screenshots, because I only have a Scart cable for my Saturn, and my recording device only does AV, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I've discovered something quite extraordinary, as most of youse know, all Saturn games are Redbook, which means you can stick the CDs into the computer, and rip the music from the game, well, I put in WipEout to rip the songs, and you know what I got, WipEout 2097 Tracks, yeah, the tracks of this, and the official soundtrack are an exact match.
So once I ripped them, I put in WipEout, wondering if the first game has the second game's soundtrack, what will the second game have? The third game, Wip3out's soundtrack, again, an exact match, and this game was out in 1997, 2 years before the Wip3out, not to mention, the third game didn't even come out on the Saturn, that's crazy!

...At least, that's what I thought until it turns out, I looked up some of the songs on Youtube, and they;re completely different to the Saturn soundtracks, it turns out Windows Media Player got it totally wrong, but somehow I don't think that WMP got the info from the internet, but rather from the CD itself, so that's one heck of a mistake, to get the next game's soundtrack bang on, even if the songs don't match.

I'm also expecting the Sega Saturn version of Destruction Derby to arrive, hopefully that'll arrive tomorrow.

Cobra!

No comments:

Post a Comment